Riots not diets

Is this a worst? I’m not sure, you tell me. It just struck me as a little sad that graffiti talking about riots would be so restricted in both time and place. Just this week and only in the one out of the way spot behind the art department. Not even on the art department generally, just this one hidden wall. Legitimised graffiti seems to strike the wrong note to me. Doesn’t seem much point in writing “If my curvy body offends you don’t look at it” to this audience. The wall itself wasn’t bad. Liked the dinosaur, but I would have liked it better had it appeared overnight on say the giant tin can. Click to enlarge.

femsprayfem1

This entry was posted in worst graffiti and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

74 Responses to Riots not diets

1. MugPunter says:

Hmmm. I don’t really get the significance of the word ‘VAGINA’ on its lonesome there. Maybe it’s part of a work in progress to be finished off after a Wimmin’s Studies lecture. ‘Pussy power’ and ‘Cunt is not an insult’ would be good on T-shirts and/or bumper stickers. Reckon the whole thing does qualify as a worst IMHO.

2. Grrr says:

“Youre in the right spot”, eh?

I’m likewise confused by “It aint (sic) piffle” – a phrase so important it’s on there twice.

It’s a worst.

(And there appears to be a complete lack of respect for the conventions of graffiti which usually compels you not to cover the work of another.)

3. shazza says:

The concept is good, however the slogans are a tad banal and amateurish with a retro feminist bent.

I think it’s a sad reflection on the declining literary skills of uni students and also an unfortunate promotion of the arts course at Curtin.

Wimmin – feminism has a broader perspective than reclaiming terms related to your anatomy.

Not good but Not Worst.

4. kill teen angst fan boi says:

Good to see femininininism is alive and well!

The clear infiltration of anti femininists was a nice touch I thought.

5. Is that blue text something about lost utes?

The revolution will be sanitised.

7. Rolly says:

One more indication that the onset of maturity is being generationally delayed.

Not too much evidence that broadening of the mind is accompanying broadening of the corpus.

8. phreestyle says:

Is that the blood of a misogynist on the lips of the dinosaur?
    Or, maybe the beast is a fully paid up member of SCUM (Society for Cutting UP Men).

I think that’s the well known feminist Debra Harry?

Not even one ‘hegemony’? Pah. Wimmin these days.

10. poor lisa says:

It’s ugly too, except Debbie Harry. (why can’t she be a feminist phreestyle?)

11. CB One says:

Definite Worst Graffiti. Like Shazza, I find the slogans a bit banal and tokenistic. I’m also appalled at the colour choices – there is such a huge range of colours available these days!

12. A hegemony wall would would be nice to have on campus. Wait, they’re all hegemony walls.
    The poster should have “The Man will tell you when you’re in the right place.”

I just noticed your Lenards chicken tweet

on the whole I was disappointed that nobody made any lame ‘choking the chicken’ puns during the whole trial.

14. stu says:

I so want to go down there and write over it with

“Iron my shirt”

just for the humour … honest … ha!

This week only ? In the right place ? Oh, the wimminity.

Simone will be spinning like a rotisserie, and if Germaine gets wind of this she’ll bulldoze the whole damn place. You couldn’t ask for a better demonstration of the latter’s assertion in The Whole Woman that feminism got derailed into settling for equality when what they’d actually demanded was liberation. She also accurately pinpoints the semantic shift from the Women’s Liberation Movement to Feminism as the moment it got pwned. Worstest, TLA.

• poor lisa says:

Good points from Germaine there skink. I was thinking of the recently departed Marilyn French whose blockbuster novel The Women’s Room had a radical campus setting.
      I’m not sure that wall says anything about women having settled for equality (and of course there’s no past tense about it either, look at any index of sexual inequality you choose!) … seems to me they’ve settled for meekness and curly pink writing on sanctioned walls.

• shazza says:

right on sister.

• Snuff says:

Thanks, poor lisa. In none of her works, of course, The Whole Woman included, has Germaine ever suggested that a fair share of a patriarchal system has ever actually been achieved, if that’s what “equality” is, and as if that would be something which any self-respecting Liberationist could ever aspire to, anyway.

I was referring moreso to her observations upon feminism’s derailment, of which this insipid insult is a perfect example.

… a problematic assertion that denies the plurality of experiences and aspirations …

Shazza, that sentence would not have looked out of place sprayed on the hegemony wall.

17. ronggly says:

“Reclaim the Night !” should make an appearance eventually.
    (Often seen around inner Adelaide in the 80’s).

18. Cookster says:

I just love meat eating Dorothy the dinosaur, great for teh kiddeez.

19. Ljuke says:

If you’ve still got that poster from the Curtin Poker club you could put it up on the wall.

20. Aileen Wuornos says:

I’m going to pretend I didn’t read any of the comments here and just complain that I haven’t seen anything like this at ECU yet.
    Of course.
    This is the kind of shit I do in my spare time.

21. Pingback: Keep it Real Ellingtons – Please « The Worst of Perth

22. Pingback: Kickin’ the Gong Around « The Worst of Perth

23. Pingback: Zapdis | It Seems As Though Graffiti Has Lost Its Rebellious Edge. Just See For Yourself.

24. Pingback: It Seems As Though Graffiti Has Lost Its Rebellious Edge. Just See For Yourself. | OMGZ lol

25. Pingback: Graffiti Has Taken A More Tame Rout Of Late | Trending Stories

26. Pingback: Viral Basement | It Seems As Though Graffiti Has Lost Its Rebellious Edge. Just See For Yourself.

27. Pingback: It Seems As Though Graffiti Has Lost Its Rebellious Edge. Just See For Yourself. | Viral Trending News

28. Pingback: It Seems As Though Graffiti Has Lost Its Rebellious Edge. Just See For Yourself. | Zindagee

29. Pingback: It Seems As Though Graffiti Has Lost Its Rebellious Edge. Just See For Yourself. | SOCIOSCENE

30. Pingback: It Seems As Though Graffiti Has Lost Its Rebellious Edge. Just See For Yourself. | Snapymag.com

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )