Castle Numbskull

From Guest Juffy. There are houses without eaves, and then there are houses without eaves.

Juffy says

Found this place hidden in an estate on the banks of Herdsman Lake while out for a run – may have had trouble breathing for a while afterwards. Clearly someone who thinks the Red Castle Motel is an underappreciated tour de force of architectural brilliance…? :) The whole estate is a study in one-upmanship, ostentatious rendered mansions as far as the eye can see….and then there’s this one…

This would be The Squire’s place. Normally I’m against running, but I’m glad you did this time. Juffy, I’m actually starting to like The Red Castle a lot now. I’m falling victim to my own blog, looking at the city more closely. I would be sorry to see it go.

turrethouse2.jpg

add to del.icio.us :: Add to Blinkslist :: add to furl :: Digg it :: add to ma.gnolia :: Stumble It! :: add to simpy :: seed the vine :: :: :: TailRank

This entry was posted in worst architecture, worst house and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Castle Numbskull

1. Nettie says:

I actually really like that place on Guildford Road that I think used to be a factory of some sort (I do recall someone telling me years ago they made lollies there but that could have been a child’s wishful thinking lol) that is castle shaped. They re-developed it some time ago into fancy smancy apartments that they charge a pretty penny for but it still looks castle-ish.
    It’s in Maylands just after the hospital turn off for anyone not familiar with the area.

2. I heard it was an egg farm, but that sounds equally unlikely.

3. cimbali says:

Yes I loved that maylands castle but was always bemused by the one in a swampy meadow in High Wycombe
    It stood triumphantly alone amidst the watsonia and weeds for many years until it suddenly found itself surrounded by a new housing development. This sprang up about the same time as they boarded up the HW hotel which up until then formed the only view from the castle battlements.

4. Can you believe I lost my photo of The High Wycombe? Ai Ya!

5. Rolly says:

The Maylands castle was once the home of a unit of the (now many times renamed) Department of Civil Aviation. Engineering, maybe. No idea what it started out as though.

6. Scurrilous says:

It was a confectionary factory. I think it might have been Plaistowes. The owner was a great philanthropist who believed all companies who made money from the community needed to give something back. Building an attractive factory was one way of doing that, and he donated lots of money to charities.

The factory had to be sold when it became unfinancial. Lollies where originally sent to the city by boat, but later transport costs increased and it was too far from the city to run at a profit.

7. Scurrilous says:

Previous comment was referring to the castle on Guildford road, obviously, not Castle Numbskull.

8. CK says:

Oh yes, I just love the way the entire structure raises its windows towards the parapets, decides What The Fuck, and it might as well kill itself.

Definitely a touch of the ennuis about this one. A touch of Sarte in Perth.

But then, everyone’s been in Paris…

9. The Intellectual Bogan says:

I love the way the keep blends with the architecture of the main house so seamlessly.

a seamless blend of Norman Revival and Spanish Mission

has anyone ever come up with a good term to describe this kind of architecture?

how about Post-Modern West-Coast Mongrel?

what are the odds that the turret is a home theatre with a 2m plasma screen?

11. tomthrett says:

that maylands joint was a cake factory y’all.
    if this is what you are talking about… if not, its still intersting.

12. Rolly says:

Thanks, Tom, for the link.

I love the line in that link that the building was “set aside as a reserve building for WA Newspapers Ltd during WWII when there was concerns that the St Georges Terrace site may be bombed”

bombed by whom?

the Japanese, or by disenchanted readers?

if only, if only

14. Another great fantasy location for TWOP headquarters.

15. Bedfords Crackpot fraternity! says:

Probably a Python fan…..

16. Mazarina says:

I love the Maylands castle too! The hilarious Herdsman horror is pure gold though. Absolutely embodies THE worst cashed up bogan element of Perth. Battlements may come in handy though to snipe at loitering teens….

17. Bedfords Crackpot fraternity! says:

Its just a pretender this one I mean look at it – no mote, no crocs, not flaming pots of boiling hot oil its a JOKE!!! Where are the archers, not even a token flag, if this guy was in the middle ages he’d have been raped and pillaged and strung up and flogged like the fluffy toy he probably is!! I’m going round one night with my battering ram – he’s just askin for it!! I’ll give him bloody medieval!!!

note the large stone ball over the entrance. a cunning mechanism enables this to be pushed over the edge to land on the heads of unsuspecting marauders and Jehovah’s Witnesses.

19. david says:

well, i’m just impressed that people have managed to comment on this – everytime i look at the picture my brain gives up and goes home.

20. He stands on the battlements and yells in mock French at passerbys ” Your father smells of elderberries” etc.

21. I suddenly had a very cold feeling about this house. State archive reader in the year 2100. Don’t tell me this place is heritage listed now?

22. flynn says:

At least it doesnt have a little bit of wood, artfully turned of course, tacked onto the front of a gable – or is that out of shot?

23. Dukes says:

looks tidy, nicely constructed and looked after. Could be worse lol

24. Mazarina says:

“Could be worse” – that should be the new tourist slogan for Perth instead of “state of excitement”.

25. Anonymous Perthon says:

Mazarina that is brilliant! “could be worse” has my vote, in fact i’m going to biro it on my number plate right now

it’s “ostentatiously castellated”. that’s how an academic described in 1993 the top of the Quokka Arms on Rotto.

27. Mazarina says:

Thanks Anonymous Perthon!

28. Dukes says:

*crys laughing*

I might make up a few labels to stick on some number plates.

LA, perhaps numberplate frames could be some future merchandising for worst of Perth, lol

29. cricketk says:

I have to confess that I absolutely love the idea of this house. I love that someone went – bugger it, my home is my castle and then built themselves a little castlefront.

Should be more of it, I say.

30. Rage says:

They should set up a canon. And point it inwards.

31. Rolly says:

@30 Rage

Which denomination? Or perhaps with fugue??

32. shlock holmes says:

elementary my dear watson, this must surely be the hideout of that rogue -the hunchback of notre dame.

33. cc says:

i know how you love the rivervale area so much. next time you’re around check out a similar (but 500 times more hideous) home on the corner of kooyong road and newey st. you can’t miss it.