Short Arm Syndrome

Since Labor Prime Ministers are all the rage today, I thought I better take up CK’s suggestion and cover the curiously short armed statue of John Curtin in front of the Fremantle town hall. CK suggested some kind of thalidomide problem, but I think it was just considered better to give a Labor PM the impression of being a fiscal conservative, that is having short arms and long pockets.

john curtin

Is that a copy of The Magna Carta he’s swatting flies with?

This entry was posted in worst public art, worst sculpture and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Short Arm Syndrome

1. CK says:

Oh thank you WOP. Respeck!

Just hanging out for the total horror of ChrissieSantaChritmasLights coming to a NEIGHBOUR NEAR YOU!!!!

2. lisa says:

Never seen that before.
    It looks like James Joyce to me.

3. lazyaussie says:

Someone needs to put a scoop of icecream in that flyswatter.

4. Robotnik says:

The People: Who says it’s a Camberwell carrot?
    Curtin: I do. I invented it in Camberwell and it looks like a carrot.

5. Cracky B! says:

The People: “Relax Man!! Cool your boots!!”

6. Les says:

Agh the good old days! When you could hit people with a rolled up newspaper when they didn’t agree with you.

7. meccano101 says:

L.A isn’t this the drunk guy you photographed through the glass.

8. Ljuke says:

Something about this reminds me of Ian Dury.

9. greg says:

Poor curtin he deserves so much better!!

10. Mary Brown says:

I think you all are being to harsh !! Anybody can see that the angle of the photo is forshortening the statue – hence the arms seem short . If you go and look at it LIVE the arms are NOT short at all!

The fashion of the day was long long throusers – high waist lines and very short jackets. Look at the images of John Curtin and look at the fashions of the day.

Mary

11. I looked at it in detail live. I specifically went there to see it in the bronze. It definitely gives the impression of the arms being several inches short. Most of their pieces are pretty terrible. I don’t mind their swans at the casino, but the rest are fairly uniformly bad, including this one.

12. Pingback: Arseless Wonder « The Worst of Perth