Weekend Worstoff 15

Trying to knock off a few more reader submissions. A nice one from Damien from the train, which suddenly appears to have gained a Scottish accent approaching Moount Lawley. Perhaps in honour of The Flying Scotsman? Thanks to Damo who is also promising to get a shot of Stephen Smith’s hair for us.

The Cookster has sent me some videos which sound fantastic, including turds on the streets of Subiaco. Unfortunately i haven’t been able to open them yet, so you will have to make do with a shot he is submitting for worst of Australia/worst architecture, the Hakoa Club in Bondi. I think you can just see the place behind Cookster’s Mo. Thanks mate. Will work on the videos.

M&A of Mackay in Queensland have sent a nostalgia shot of Eats, labelling it as worst architecture/demolishing, in that it was a crime it was knocked down. Wasn’t there several eats places? Another sadly missed vanished worst.

And one more international worst from Mr XY, who’s associate just returned from New York with a pocket full of these. Apparently you keep your hands in your pockets over there, or you’ll end up with a bale of these.

And one more from Stu of Hilton Park. He wonders how low a landscaping budget can go, with these blobs of stone used as actual features. Reminds me of one of WA’s crappiest tourist sites, The Pinnacles. At least you don’t have to drive for hours to see Hilton blobs.

This entry was posted in *Worst of Australia, *Worst of The World, vanished worst, worst advertising, worst graffiti, worst public art, worst sculpture, worst sign, worst spelling and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Weekend Worstoff 15

That’s definitely the Eats that was on the foreshore at Cott, TLA, as you can see from the flats near the OBH in the background, and a damn fine late night munchies establishment it was. There may well have been others, but my personal favourite Eats was on the Stirling Highway around the border between Mozzies and Peppy Grove, directly opposite a primary school. I can still smell those frying onions being flipped by those charming old ducks with their tuckshop arms.

As for the Hilton blobs, well, you’re right about the Pinnacles, of course. The monks from Ryona-ji might want to have a word with you about their Karesansui garden, however. Anyway, I’m off to Yokohama for the long weekend.

Avagoodweegend.

Oops. Ryoan-ji.

3. Rolly says:

I beg to differ re. the pinnacles.
    It’s just that it gets to be grotty when it’s overrun with moronic tour bus travelers and 4WDriving dunderheads.
    Like so many ‘sights’ sites it needs to be protected from those who visit “for something to do” and be reserved for folks who really appreciate it.
    Sunrise there is something to enjoy very quietly: meditating, perhaps, on how over population is destroying the real pleasures in life.
    Suburbanites suck, OK.

4. Rolly says:

Re. the “EATS” at Cottesloe, it’s a convenience sadly missed. Everything in the area is going “upmarket” and snotty whilst at the same time failing both to serve their clientele and and to cut a decent profit.

I agree with Snuff on the Stirling Highway “Eats” hut.
    They knew something about toothsomeness that seems to have got lost over the last phase of fast food “progress”.

5. La Plaza Bentley says:

Shot doesn’t do justice to the Hakoah club…you need a shot of the entrance. I thought they voted to fold the club.

haiku#6008:

LA don’t waste time
    We want Cookster’s sturdy work
    On Barker Street eggs.

7. La Plaza Bentley says:

8. Frank Calabrese says:

[What about that kiosk burger joint at teh foot of kings park…I think where the Mounts Bay hospital (or whatever it’s called) is now.]

Bernies

9. Yes I remember Bernies had terrible burgers.

10. Frank Calabrese says:

[Yes I remember Bernies had terrible burgers.]

I’ve been told the Ham & Pea soup is rather terrible at Alfred’s Kitchen.

11. Russell says:

Surely won’t be long till we see the name Ryona-Jean in The West’s birth notices.

Many an hour I spent sprawled across the front seat of the Kingswood in that little parking area behind Eats – fabulous view. (I was reading novels, BTW). I don’t mind the tarted up Cottesloe, but I also liked that daggy bit of Cott that’s gone. Maybe Eats could have found a home at a naturally daggy location – South Beach?

12. Let me guess, reading Gogol’s Lost Souls? No wait perhaps you’re a Carpetbaggers man?

13. Frank Calabrese says:

Hmm, Condaleeza Rice to visit Perth – won’t Alexander Downer be pissed off :-)

14. Cookster says:

I have entrance shots
    Coming soon
    Icebergs eating schnitzels

15. forkboy1971 says:

Im heading for a poo now with digi camera in hand. Bet 10 bucks that its bigger than COOKSTER’s footpath fudgies. I ate a whole chicken last night and two plates of pasta with peas……..its going to be a be a post modernist masterpiece. Maybe I should head to Success and unload it there. I could class it as urban art then?

16. Groucho says:

Another great establishment gone is the Chinese Restaurant that used to occupy the building on the esplanade side on the corner of Barrack and Esplanade. I think it was called the Pagoda. Didn’t Burger King on Stirling Hwy in those days have the roller skate server thing happening ?

17. Kat Black says:

I loved Bernie’s. I found this old post while trying to find some info about it. They did a great potato-and-cheese burger that was the only vegetarian thing at a fast-food joint (or restaurant for that matter) in the 70’s, so I’d always try to get my family to go there instead of the local sweet-and-sour-pork type Chinese Restaurant.

I worked at Hungry Jack’s in Claremont in the 70’s, and it certainly didn’t have roller skating service then. We did have awful thick polyester uniforms in brown, yellow and red though. God those things were awful.

Spelling Error, Anyway i made up nicknames for some people on this site
    Shazza: Shaz
    The Lazy Aussie: T.L.A
    Orbea:The Big O
    Bento: Big Bragging
    Rolly: The Big R
    Russel Wolfs Lovechild: R.W.L

19. RubyRuby says:

Hakoah Club – wow. One of Les Norton’s hangout’s, on this site… when worlds collide. Lovely.