They’re all gone Man

They’ll stone you when you’re trying to be so good
They’ll stone you just like they said they would
They’ll stone you when you’re trying to go home
They’ll stone you when you’re there all alone
But I would not feel so all alone
Everybody must get stoned Bob Dylan

Not to disparage Chappelli’s charity work, but does the man not look stoned as two Rastas in this shot? Let’s assume it was the photographer or graphic designer who was at fault, (I love to blame those guys), but he’s got to have a pizza in each fist right? What we can definitely blame the graphic designer for is the poster layout. Are we supposed to think Chappelli is actually in this scene? If so, why the studio lighting and the oddly proportioned young women obscuring the bucket bong? A better solution might have been a box to separate Chappell from charitees. Just ridiculous pasting him behind the kids. And what a cold and unemotional quote, supposedly from the great man. (I don’t think so). Especially when he looks like he’s more likely to say “Dave’s not here Man.”

It’s an emergency response team you plonkers. How about, “These kids are in danger. We’ve got to move fast and we need your help!” Looks like another case of free graphic design work and free copywriting to me.

Seen at Galleria Shopping Centre. I will drop a few Don Bradman 20c pieces their way if I see them again, despite everything.

This entry was posted in worst advertising, worst graphic design, worst sign and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to They’re all gone Man

1. Adam says:

I’m more concerned that the girls at the bottom of the picture seem to be looking at Chappelli’s lap…

At last! I can reminisce, after all the Red Parrot/live music nostalgia…

In 1978 I got Chappelli’s autograph. It was after he’d played an exhibition match at the Port Hedland Oval. I fronted him, he scribbled on a bit of paper, and said “Good on yer mate”.

I didn’t wash my ears for weeks!

Re the ad: if you’re going to mention the Emergency Response Team, why not depict it??

Fair enough, Adam. I thought they might have been admiring Trev’s bowling action, or perhaps Ian’s dropped the cone and sent them on a search.

4. Johnny Nonation says:

I would have preferred Dame Edna Everidge in the image – then I would have believed it.

5. Tony T says:

Mind if I play… this.

6. Perhaps it’s a little harsh Tony. Maybe he came straight from the dentist, or had some painkillers for a back problem and threw a litre of wine on top as a calming raft. I did manage to get noticed by Chappell in the 70’s. I was a juniour waca member. He was walking around the boundary for some TV thing near me and I shouted out “Hey, he’s got his pants on!” I think there was some incident where he dropped his creams on the field. Can’t remember. On the same day I also said “Don’t look at me Kimmy!” to Kim Hughes at the same location. Not sure why.

7. Big Ramifications says:

I like turtles!

[Heh heh. It’s an in joke, folks.]

The el cheapo graphic designers didn’t quite manage to airbrush the speech bubble above the eating child:

“Bugger – porridge again…”

9. Paracleet says:

I hate to confess this LA but I believe the incident you are refering to occured in 1979/80 at the adelaide oval in a shield match. And no, I don’t know how or why I know this.

10. Tony T says:

Chappell dropping his dacks in a Shield game (pretty sure it was at the SACA in 1979) inspired a Tandberg cartoon in the Age. Can’t find a link, but it had Chappell sitting on a dunny while a reporter, pen, notebook and short hand at the ready, stood outside the cubicle asking “Mr Chappell, do you think you’ve got out of cricket what you’ve put in?”

11. Pingback: Jammin’ « The Worst of Perth