Continental Style

Another excellent submission from Glenn. Unfortunately this apparition on Beaufort Street Inglewood is now covered over. Looks like a man who would be into “Spanish” to me. I am actually getting through some reader submissions in the past couple of weeks.

————————————————————————–

Breaking News! Some of you may have seen that The West journos have put a series of questions to Kerry Stokes about the future of the paper. TWOP has just received a leaked summary of the questions several of the scribes are putting to Kerry.

Pam Casellas. “Mr Stokes, have you ever noticed how funny the difference between cat and dog owners is? I have a follow up question. Old people having trouble with technology. How funny are they?”

Paul Murray. “Mr Stokes. “If you start a new paper, will you be looking for someone who is always right? I think you should be, and I am always right about these things.”

Stephen Scourfield. “Mr. Stokes. Shall I compare thee to a Summer’s day? A jug of wine, a loaf of bread?”

Mark Naglazas. “Are you talking to me? Are you talking to me? I don’t see anyone else here, are you talking to me?”

Speaking of Paul Murray, has no one else noticed that there hasn’t been a single Murray borefest since TWOP exposed his last effort to ridicule? Spooky. I hope we haven’t broken him. (My Ning, I blame you.)

This entry was posted in vanished worst, worst advertising, worst journalist, worst newspaper, worst sign and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Continental Style

1. Mez says:

Gerard Henderson: “Mr Stokes. Will I still be given half a page to pretend that Labor didn’t win the last election, we didn’t say sorry, that there is no stolen generation, might is right, the only good terrorist a dead Iraqi, that this is the recession we had to have and that Kevin Rudd does not speak mandarin?”

Back to John’s Continental Style. That used to be my favourite thing about that stretch of Beaufort Street. I took a photo with my phone just before the buildign next door went up.

I even gave John a try when I needed a haircut – lamentably, he does not have the debonair continental style of the man in the sign. Notwithstanding, the eponymous John does sport a particularly impressive Italian ‘older gentleman’s’ mullet, with beautiful highlights.

3. DingoRob says:

What’s with the Stokes worship, LA?

4. I don’t think Stokes will be any better for the paper. He’s not going to be a white knight for the readers in any case. Under normal circumstances people would generally be against a billionaire concentrating media ownership further, but the West has been so crap lately that no-one cares about it. That’s the point I think. I like to think of myself as more anti Paul murray than pro Stokes.

5. Frank Calabrese says:

Oh and speaking of Stokes, why are the West suddenly supporting the return of John D’Orazio and tutt tutting McGowan for the Ethinic Branch Stacking remark when The West itself reffered to John D as “The Godfather ?

Is it because The West are paying out on Stokes by attacking Reece Whitby for daring to run for the ALP – why is that such a crime when former West Sports Writer John McGrath is the Liberal member for South Perth ?

Hypocrites.

6. Adam says:

Totally OT, but I just found this story, and thought of TWOP:

If this was in SA, I’d be proud. But since it’s in WA, I’m jealous.

7. Mez says:

Proud as punch Adam especially as reported “Police say he was still on the phone when he stopped for police and appeared to be arguing with his wife.”

the chap is a dead-set bogan round these here parts and the West will have a field day racking up how many times it can use anti-hoon in one article

I suspect a reader’s poll as well “should offenders be locked up or crushed with their cars?”

8. mazarina says:

yes, back to John’s Continental Style. Bento – I loved this mural too, why did yet another hideous block of apartments (or whatever they are) have to spring up there? i also used to love the old junk shop across the road which is now a rather soulless pizza place. gentrification – tsk, it’s the leprosy fo the burbs.

9. Mez says:

I actually really like the painting of the bloke with moustache btw

10. BrownBook says:

I vote not worst – so much to like about the illustration. The part, the reflecting light, the hint of sideburn, not to mention the tache.

Also, apostrophes have been correctly implemented.

11. ratbag23 says:

There’s a great painting of James Dean and Marilyn Monroe getting married (it’s on the side of a cake shop) along the same stretch of Beaufort Street Inglewood… someone ought to get a snap of that one.

12. Mat B says:

I agree it’s not worst. That’s not to say it’s best, just not worst. I’d love to know what a continental hairstyle is, though!

13. I have the shot ratbag. In my queue.

glad to see Beaufort Street getting another mention – it could get its own section – The Worst of Beaufort – I see the knockers at 835 have already made the grade

there are three developments by Match on Beaufort Street that deserve a TWOP mention for their complete disregard of quality or style – there’s that monstrous thing with the tree on the front near Vincent St – that cheapo precast crap next to Mondo that looks unfinished – and that squat thing with the blank windows by the clock tower.

Match are single-handedly screwing up Beaufort Street, and they deserve some grief

15. Pingback: Amiche per la Pelle! « The Worst of Perth

16. Mez says:

Hello Ladies!

17. I go to this hairdresser now.