Pinnacle my backside.

I’ve always wanted to slag off the ultra pathetic Pinnacles properly, but it’s kinda like making fun of that dude sending out his records at random. Like kicking sand in the face of an old rock when it’s down. By Cimbali.This is one of the state’s biggest tourist drawcards? And by draw I mean crap and by card I mean a long dispiriting drive away.

This entry was posted in Uncategorisable Worsts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to Pinnacle my backside.

1. shazza says:

Pinnacles are great. At sunset especially so.

2. Pete says:

I prefer the Pinnacles at Hilton.

I’m pretty sure I’ve sent them before. Oh, yes, the actual pinnacles, crap in that unique Western Australian way – a long way to go to be surprised at the hype.

3. rottobloggo says:

Sign is disappointing: as any fules kno, it should be: Please help us by refraining from climbing activity on the Pinnacles whilst you are currently in the area.

4. orbea says:

Irrational Hatred #478?

5. Tullio says:

The only reason to go to the Pinnacles would be to do Billy Connolly there.

Amazingly, it is not available on youtube.

have you done Wave Rock as well?
    I think there may be an ongoing series here of ‘Pissweak Western Australian Geological Attractions’
    I went out of my way once to see the Marble Bar. Very underwhelming. The only redeeming feature of the trip was a barmaid at the Ironclad Hotel who was filthy.
    Then there’s that rock arch in Kalbarri. I thought it was going to be huge like that arch in Utah, but you get there and it’s the size of a patio door.

7. Sure, don’t ruin the pinnacles by climbing all over them, just erect a fucking sign instead…

8. Bag O'Turnips says:

(Been away awhile…been over to Tassie to get myself one of their stereotypically wonderfully preserved cars to replace the Darched Mazda, finding a stunning yellow Audi S3 over there, eating up their winding roads, shipping it to the mainland on the Spirit Of Tasmania, as well as scorching the Hume to Sydney via Canberra and back and scaling Mt Buller in Victoria for a ski, staying a few weeks in Melbourne then racing home to Perth via Great Ocean Road-Mt Gambier-Adelaide-Port Augusta-Iron Knob-Nullarbor-Kalgoorlie-Dullsville.)

Isn’t the State’s tourism board’s catchphrase “WA: Extraordinary”?

For once they didn’t lie. It is ordinary in extremis. Where mediocrity is not only a virtue, it’s a way of life. Which is a shame for all the latent attributes we have at our disposal, like generally good weather, exceptional beaches, plenty of room and loads of money swishing around.

But nah, we’re like the the metaphorical Toyota Camry drivers of the world, who could—gasp!—stretch to a Lexus IS or GS, but even with that Toyota family familiarity, most Sandgropers would still unthinkingly stump for yet another conservative cardigan Camry, or Camry LiteCorolla for the missus.

I hope Her Maj is bored shitless and vows never to visit again :) Even Tasmania, for all its inbreeding, subsidy handouts and isolation, can show West Aussies a trick or two hundred about how to attract tourists and treat them very well. Needless to say, I’ll be back yet again (second time I visited, as I also just happen to be enchanted by the place).

• Orbea says:

BO’T is back, driving an expensive yellow beetle!
      Things are looking up!

• Bag O'Turnips says:

Well, it was the same platform (A4/PQ34) that not only spawned the Audi A3/S3 pair (of which it was the first model on this platform in 1996), but also the MkI TT (which kinda looks like a shrunken New Beetle), the VW MkIV Golf, Bora/Jetta and New Beetle, Škoda Octavia and the SEAT Léon and Toledo.

So it can be argued that it is a glorified beetle, but the most potent one and with AWD to boot, which came into its own along the sinuous A10 route in Taswegia (there’s about five-and-a-half thousand of those bends on that road), eating up the rain-slicked hairpin bends and sweepers with rude disdain, which put a smile on the dial of this turnip :)

• Rolly says:

Well, they had to do something to counter the huge popularity in the high (and therefore snowy and slippery) country in Europe of the Subaru AWD series.
          No, Subaru did not invent the engineering, but they made it most accessible.
          Pity about the lousy local service and high cost of spares, though.

9. langhorne says:

I always thought the pinnacles were big, like this

Reminds me of Bunbury, Im came back yesterday by the way.

11. six oh six one says:

Pfft, just go to Balcatta. There’s some pinnacles in a less barren landscape (I mean shrubbery and not Greek columns).

I mean the pinnacle is the Balcatta SHS emblem, which they’ve changed to look more new-agey/cultish. At the time I wasn’t “ethnic” enough to enrol, try as I did by starting a fight at the Maco Club in Balga.

12. RubyRuby says:

Today is a perfect day to hit the Pinnacles. Take some pommy visitors, piss off up Wanneroot Road and get out of the rain and into the warmth. I put this in as a vote of why they’re not so totally crap. Also, Hangover Bay is near there, and the beach is a bit lovely. The stromatolites leave even visiting geologists a bit meh – the thrombolites in Lake Clifton are a much better bet, not least because there’s that emu pie place just a bit down the road from it. And a brewery? Winery? Just next to it. Usually busy tearing into emu pies, me…

13. Courtney says:

I had a friend visit Perth from Germany. He was touring Australia, and came to Perth for just one night. The ONE single thing he asked me to do for him- take him to see the famous pinacles!

How the hell did he even find out about them? Why did he fly from the East coast, just to see that one attraction? I drove him all the way there and he seemed reasonably impressed, took some photos and 10 minutes later we drove all the way home again.

It still seems surreal today that it even happened.

• Couldn’t you read the signals? He wanted to be shot and dumped in the desert.

• valerie woodruffe says:

Courtney, perhaphs your Nazi friend was trying to tell you something, and wanted to see the piss dar resistance pinnacle that is shaped like a huge crock, It was quite the biiggest one Ive seen, and thats saying something after that Somalian boat person exposed homself on Mullaloo horse beach.