Chinatown

I asked RubyRuby to confirm my predjudice that Broome was a craphole, (an opinion held by someone who had lived there) but she claimed the place was wonderful. Wrong answer RR. And yet, and yet she offers this from Chinatownthat that would curl the lip of any arrondissement hepster. Didn’t that public phone used to be a pizza hut? Brings back memories of a racist firebombing.

This entry was posted in worst architecture and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

60 Responses to Chinatown

1. langhorne says:

I agree with RubyRuby.

2. Russell Wolfe's Lovechild says:

Ling Ling.

This photo neatly encapsulates my experience of Broome. Although I haven’t lived there for almost 20 years; (where did those kerbs come from, and where’s the pindan), it had some great aspects, (as demonstrated by the fact that they actually have a public phone), and yet a perth of worsts, (see stupid roof). Not much in between.

4. sharon says:

I like the phone box lid. I suspect I would also like Broome.

Chinatown. Pfft. Not even a real town, more like a collection of shops. It doesn’t even have a Mayor.

6. BrownBook says:

This is so awesome it’s off the hook!

7. orbea says:

so, Freo on a Friday night, and again early saturday morning…
    What should I look for and expect?

8. Pete says:

Post 9pm biff at the market taxi rank/bus stop. Bizarre bar in the middle of the market.
    Sat am – silent as that first time you & dougie free dived down into the cray hole. Tourists wandering around bewildered.

9. RubyRuby says:

Not one of youse pigs has picked up on the Worst of Shire of Broome notice here – ubiquitous on the major intersections of Broome (heh heh) is the warning to tourists that they are fair game for cars if they step off the kerb.

Yeah, that pretty much was alla Chinatown, I think. Will see what else I might have on the phone camera thing, now that I’ve finally had a small win in getting some pics from off of it…

• orbea says:

I did – assumed it was a sign for tourists, since none of the locals ever went to school

• RubyRuby says:

Broome SHS has a lovely mural in the yard, facing the bus route. But in this modern world, feel a bit iffy standing around taking photos of school grounds… and staying at liberty.

• Snuff says:

And only ever slow down for pedestrians when they go for a perv on north Cable Beach.

• RubyRuby says:

While doing the Cable Beach Triathlon, there were cyclists belting it up and down with a marked off lane with traffic cones down the road. So, local 4WD dickheads were slaloming along in and out of the race course… Sounds like theCue triathlon didn’t have THAT problem…

10. orbea says:

Breaking news: International cruise swingers can buy rainbow dolphin statuettes at every Albany shop on a two sundays!!!!
    Vibrant!! – locals will boglap York Street

Credit where it’s due – Broome artists have found an effective means of rendering dolphins (they’re the red bit).

What wrong with a Payphone in a Chineese Temple Box?, Why was it posted here?