Weekend Worstoff 145

In TWOP news, Deefock has equal control of the comment queue. He just aproved his own comment. True story.

Nervous Twitch sends in some worst of New Zealand from Kahaurangi National Park. The Colour H claims that this is the end of days for number plates. Hmm. Somehow it is worse than the outrageously stupid ones. GB likes this “high exposure site” on Manning Road Como. I have wondered myself about the window graffiti. King Neptune? It is just a short splash from the river. And JaneZ saw one for Teh Bartender, also paying tribute to the clipart.

This entry was posted in *Worst of New Zealand, weekend worstoff and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Weekend Worstoff 145

1. Shazza says:

Prawns? Look like a small colon to me ;

2. Show us ya growler. Gold.

$7.20! more like $1.20 or even 20cents.

4. Deidre says:

Growler is the name of some rapids near this camp. Other rapids on the same river include Ass-Kicker and Holy Shit. True story.

5. Ljuke says:

This was after their Dessert Prawn Rolls were unsuccessful.

Coming the raw prawn?
    Rapture coming on a pl8:
    Growling overlord.

7. The Bartender's skills with a Manhatten says:

I tried to think of what a New York roll would be and savory prawns had nothing to do with it. Smoked lox, perhaps. Or bluepoint oysters. Or maybe if they just served it to you and then said “fuck off and die.” And expected a tip.

• As I may have commented before, a major reason for me not visiting the US (apart from 1 day on way to Mexico) is not knowing how all that tipping shit works. Why can’t they just say the price and leave it at that? Why all the fucking around with percentages?

• JaneZ says:

I expect that the New York Style Roll will feature seafood extender (do you people have seafood extender? I just asked my American husband, who says he has never heard of it. it is white and pink and extremely nasty) plus thousand island dressing (do you people have that? it is mayonnaise plus ketchup) and some lettuce, with a nice big side of cultural cringe.

When we think things are seriously awesome, we say they’re world-class. When we are just pretty pleased with ourselves, why that’s New York style all the way.

• Natalia Fan #1 says:

Two points. One is that I love shop/restaurant signage and advertising hoardings spruiking Perth as part of the “London, New York, Paris, Tokyo” continuum.

Second is that I feel the Perth New York style prawn roll may be a dim reflection of of the famous Maine Crab Roll, as seen here. Quite by chance, I discovered this while perusing a Stephanie Alexander cookbook over the weekend, god help me.

• B.T. says:

Seafood extender… do you mean imitation crab , which is some sort of crap fish rolled into sticks and given a pink tint so we think it’s real crab meat?

Kahurangi is magnificent country, but thick with thar ? TLA ?

Great registered lawn.

9. Bag O'Turnips says:

I’ve noticed many years ago (perhaps 1993-94) a plate identically worded, with “NO PLATE”, which was a attached to a cornflower blue-coloured privately imported South African Opel Ascona (which is another GM J-Platform car similar to the Holden Camira). I actually met the owner—a young man about my age—at a social function I attended at the time and I seem to recall that we did have a good yarn about numberplates, given that I had just acquired my first one (2LITRE).

Perhaps in spite of the Merc’s owner’s probable wealth (or good access to credit), they had to improvise their effort because the owner of the “NO PLATE” numberplate probably wouldn’t budge, even if they were still hobbling around in that quasi-Camira dunger (which I doubt is still on the road).

(Disclaimer: just for the record, I have had several personalised plates, two of which I bought and since on-sold the display rights and one I inherited off of my late Dad, but keep in storage, for I find it just far too conspicuous with the family name one it. Nowadays, I’d like to think I have grown out of such “look at moi!” behaviour, yet my only concession to my plate-spotting obsession is a black-on-white 1970s reissue plate, which both has my initials and year of birth within, as well as serendipitously actually being originally issued in the same year I came to be, 1975. Subtle and understated, with a touch of retro cool, thus only the trainspotters will look twice. Which was a far cry from my second plate, “BEATLES”, to which everybody could spot my car, which was otherwise just another otherwise unremarkable base-model Conformadore.)

10. Lucky Star says:

The number plate (or numbr pl8) is almost a not worst. It’s a refreshing change from the bright pink crap with “britnee” and “ashalee91” printed on it, along with all the stupid text speak style number plates that are out there.

“Show us ya” Growler Camp – Hilarious. Good use of a pen knife or similar sharp implement. I vote not worst. Makes one wonder if it may have been a bit like band camp minus the flutes (except for the skin variety) for those staying there…

11. WA_side says:

From stating the obvious to “how could I miss the reference?”: