Air China

Amazingly TWOP not blocked here at the moment, so I thought I’d post something quickly. Andrea sent me this pic a while ago of haze over Perth, perhaps for a “worst burning off” category. Just for the sake of contrast, below is a picture of Wuhan in central China about an hour ago. This is not mist, but heavy car and industrial pollution that that covers the city most of the time, day and night. If anything, the photo makes it look a little better than it was. Below that is a shot of The Worst of Perth logo on the banks of The Yangtze.

air.jpg
wuhanhaze1.jpg
twopyangtze.jpg

This entry was posted in *Worst of The World, worst of perth and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Air China

1. Levon says:

That Wuhan photo is what Los Angeles in the Blade Runner movie would’ve looked like during day time.

2. Bet ya that Chinese air tastes like Vegemite. Just put your piece of toast in the air, instant vegemited picture of Beelzebotte. Also don’t forget to yell “Free Tibet” in inappropriate public places , and tell them frequently ” this air is going to kill Olympic athletes”. Guaranteed latex glove time.

3. Nettie says:

I shall never complain again about the state of our glorious Swan River after that photo!

4. The Intellectual Bogan says:

I never cease to be amazed by Chinese air quality. Makes me think of what early industrial cities in Europe must have been like before industry was (slowly) forced to clean up its act and alternatives to coal became available and afordable for home heating.

Perth’s yellow air is interesting though. Although the English cities I’m familiar with often had air you could taste and which would leave a gritty layer on your skin, it was rarely, if ever, this colourful.

Commuting by motorbike as I do, I particularly notice it when heading home of an evening. There’s a point about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way up Greenmount Hill where you rise out of the haze and the air suddenly doesn’t taste burnt any more.

5. Russell says:

When I was living in balmy Guangzhou in the 80s I made frequent day trips to Hong Kong (any other TWOP readers admit to 2 hours of train travel and crossing an international border just to satisfy the desperate need for a Violet Crumble?) and always found a day in HK left my shirt collars black, the inside of my ears black … horrible. The air in Southern Chinese cities was positively salubrious compared to that in throbbing HK. Things might have changed …..

What’s ‘worst’ about Perth’s air is the wretched east wind that blows for 6 months of the year picking up every toxic bit of pollen that our white-man-repelling native flora can throw at us – wattles, grevilleas, grasses and all the other culprits – to keep us all red-eyed, itchy-nosed and irritable!

6. The air is brown 8 days out of ten from Guangzhou to the Russian border. Country or city it’s bad everywhere.

7. Russell says:

Well, while the air wasn’t brown, other things were – like the fields outside my windows, which got a twice yearly application of nightsoil.
    LA – here’s a warning – I was once cycling about Guangzhou city’s outskirts when I saw a nice looking little lake. Being Australian I had a pair of Speedos to hand so hopped in. I was leisurely backstroking along when a truck pulled up, thew out a big hose and started pumping all this muck in. So I hopped out and asked them “why are you pumping sewage into this nice little lake?”. “Too feed the fish” [you idiot] was the reply.
    So, even though it’s un-Australian not to have a swim every day, maybe forget it unless your hotel has a pool.

8. The only pools of water I’ve seen have smelt of piss or diesel or both. There are thousands of lakes around Wuhan, but I wouldn’t put someone else’s toe into one. Mao used to swim the Yangtze just a few k’s up the road. There is a picture of Yangtze dolphins in the main mall here, but like Mao they are extinct now.

9. skooter says:

So I hopped out and asked them
    — “why are you pumping sewage into this nice little lake?”. –“Too feed the fish” [you idiot]
    was the reply.

BAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Why else…

I wonder if this site’ll make the Chinese Overlord’s blocked list?

10. Strangely getting some hits from China today, Wuhan, Shangers, and Shenyang. WordPress must be unblocked at the momment even though the olympics are over.

11. Frank Calabrese says:

There are still the Paralympics to go which start on Saturday Night.