Smokeys Burgers

Did you know Perth had a burger joint with rollerskating chicks serving the cars with said burgers? Finally getting round to scanning my 80s and 90s medium format negs. This place, Smokey’s burgers was across the road from Ellingtons, sort of, where now beret wearing fifth flatters trade snarl with curled lip. Was a pasta place before, equally money losing. After decades a new building finally going up on the site. Stirling Street/Beaufort Street. Apart from Smokey’s, amazing how little Stirling Street has changed over the decades. I don’t know when I took this. Guessing 1986.

This entry was posted in worst classics and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

70 Responses to Smokeys Burgers

1. langhorne says:

Nice topiary.

2. poor lisa says:

Is that where the new Mcdonalds is going to be?
    Is the 2nd one Stirling st? You’re right, it hasn’t changed. I hope you have lots more, these are categorically not worst.

3. NF#1 says:

Apropros of nothing, I heard an interview with Gerry on 100.9 FM Noongar Radio yesterday in regards to the upcoming CHOGM protest. I’d say a worthy cause, if only there was some specified cause of worth – I’m not sure that the “you got it, I’m against it” (as TLA so adroitly put it) banner really helps anyone.

Why is it Black and White?

5. Russell Wolfe's Lovechild says:

Old skool tree pruning FTW.

I always referred to them as amputrees. Groan. Nice old skool double apostrophe abuse.

7. hoppo says:

Nice pics, especially the 2nd one with bonus background view of Australia’s Second Tallest Sewer VentTM.

However slightly unfair to say Stirling St hasn’t changed – if I’m not mistaken those houses/utes have now been replaced with the strange office building fronted with large freestanding numbers festooned with quokka (?) statues.

8. orbea says:

WORSTNEWSFLASH
    Drive (SATTLER) promo: today marks 30 years of Howard Sattler being on the radio.

9. orbea says:

I quite like most of these, though the Smith’s seem to have a franchise in Mingeopolis.

10. DudeCloverdale says:

I like the dodge truck in the background.

11. BrownBook says:

Maccas branding now highly visible on Beaufort outlet. Hash browns and litter ahoy!

I’d like to think that Smokey’s made tasty burgers, but the need for rollerskating gimmicks probably warned of average fare.

12. Jamie says:

Well you guys really dont know what you are talking about. It was the best burgers in Perth and the place to go after a good night out Bon fires and great atmosphere