Weekend Worstoff 79

Another good week. Over 70 000 views for the month. Pam Cassellas’ last column is in the West today. Didn’t read it, but I hope it’s about how wacky cats are compared to dog, or how wacky men are compared to women. I hope you read her sign off comment here.

I took this in Forrest Place the other day. It’s the heritage marker on the GPO. Maybe it’s to make Asian visitors more comfortable? AiYa! It’s an ambitions project isn’t it? Or maybe it’s to make me feel more comfortable with my own spelling? week79gpoTony saw a lack of apostrophe which almost turns a racist sentiment into a welcome sign. Fuck off! We were full in the past, but now we’re not. week79wereG’Day from WA saw the results of desertification, as dunes of fill threaten to cover a house. I tink the dog’s under there too. week79fillAnd Meccano just liked this service station drain in St Kilda. week79bpWorst well this weekend.

This entry was posted in weekend worstoff, worst sign, worst spelling and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Weekend Worstoff 79

1. rosellas savoury rice says:

I see paul nurry has become the spokesperson for the pro-obesity anti-xbox lobby. Of course he supports our kids being fat rather than violent, the fat old fuck.
    Thanks for the memories dearies!

• shazza says:

Oh PL that article boiled me blood!
      Quote “So why then are parents seemingly more concerned about the link between the advertising of junk food and obesity than…dipictions of violence and violent behaviour” ? Oh for fucks sake.
      Parents who care about their kid’s weight don’t feed them shit everyday, and parents who don’t care do. It’s not parents getting their knickers in a knot over this issue, it’s health advocates. Just like every other fucking day, we have ‘experts’ telling us how to discipline, how much telly, what to eat, or not, during pregnancy blah blah blah.
      Idiot parents make fat, idiot kids (mostly) The kids watching violent x box games are probably the same ones getting fat you ninkinpoop.
      AAaaaaahhhhgggg!
      There that’s better.
      Now where was I? Oh yes, what a lovely parting article by Pammy. Very sweet. Bye bye dearie.

• Bento says:

UPDATE 11am Thursday: After further research for a Saturday column, I see we don’t have an R-rating for computer games in Australia.

By ‘further research’, Nurry means ‘someone pointed out in the comments that my entire premise is based on a factual error’. Bravo.

2. Dave says:

On the GPO landmark, 1900s also does not require an apostrophe – > (1900’s = blurgh)

3. poor lisa says:

Nicely put shazzellas.

Talk about a false dilemma. “Do you want your kids not to be fat, or do you want them not to be violent? You have to choose! You can’t have nonviolent kids with a healthy BMI! I’m fat and peaceful, see?”

No point even going to ‘correlation doesn’t equal causation’ which most people manage to learn in science 101. Oh that’s right paul nurry was educated in the knockabout college of life, ie he failed his first year at uni.

has a ‘definitive causal link’ been established that reading one of Nurry’s articles ‘may predispose’ the reader towards commit acts of violence against a fat cunt?

and a question for the ladies:

looking at the pictures of a younger, thinner Casellas, she looked like a capable professional journalist combining a career with raising a family.

at what exact point in a woman’s life does the mummsy gene kick in, and she gains twenty kilos, starts wearing cardigans, and finds cats amusing?

is there a particular moment when she stops giving a shit about being taken seriously and reaches for the Tim-Tams?

• shazza says:

Well the “stops giving a shit about being taken seriously and reaches for the Tim Tams” moment, probably commences shortly after the first (intended) conception.

As for the cardigan wearing, gaining 20 kilos and finding cats amusing. Perhaps it’s genesis is about the time she realised tenure as a female journo who didn’t want to bang Jeff Newman was only to be achieved via ladylike articles. Because in her day one didn’t seek to rock the patriarchal establishments by highlighting corruption and the imprisoning of innocents.

Perhaps? Or not.

I liked her line where she said that she wrote “everything and anything and nothing to speak of”

quite

she spoke at length about the heady period when she was a ‘television writer’ and the buzz of being part of the TV industry. I was trying to imagine what TV shows she might have written for, The West Wing perhaps, when I remembered she used to write ABOUT television, not FOR it. Sitting at home watching the idiot box and dashing off a lazy 200 words about Neighbours.

• shazza says:

I enjoyed her references to working with “charlatans of vast ineptitude who eventually have been found out. Most of them, anyway.”

I fervently hope, one day soon, she takes all that pent up angst and suppressed rage and liberates herself by spilling the dirt.

C’mon Pam, it’s very therapeutic.

• Frank Calabrese says:

Actually pre VCR this involved the Journos trekking to the wilds of Tuart Hill and Adelaide Tce (for the ABC) and being subjected to screenings, after which they enjoyed the hospitality of the stations with food from the Canteen :-)

7. Richarbl says:

If I had mentioned anything about a mummsy gene that caused wimmin to gain twenty kilos and wear cardigans there would be no shortage of furore.
    But once again the the TWOP Elitists escape without burns from caustic comments, free to banter amongst themselves with never a suggestion of sexism.
    If only I had an ivory dildo instead of this stupid wooden one. Sigh

• shazza says:

So by your theory Richarbl, your’e just being picked on because… ummm. Why again?

• Richarbl says:

I am not sure if you have heard of self deprecating humour shazza, but if you you reread the comment I am actually taking the piss out of myself and at the same time acknowledging the superior position of an elitist class.

Geez, was it that hard to understand?

• skink says:

it’s not sexism when you are talking about Pam, since she has self-handicapped

no doubt similar gross generalisations could be made about balding male divorcees in late middle age.

bought a sports car yet?

• Richarbl says:

No I haven’t thought about a sports car but today I considered buying a ten year old Mercedes, oh Fuck thats the same thing

8. Greg says:

If you look up in the top left-hand corner of the dunes of fill, I think you can just make out the withered hand of one of the builders, buried under tons of sand.

9. Frank Calabrese says:

Here is a shot of Krazy Kym at the TVW Reunion.

10. 13th Oyster says: