But we are Quokkas, are we not?

It is a hard way, the way of being a man. Sooner or later we all want a thing that is bad. To walk on all fours. To suck up drink from a stream. To jabber, instead of saying the words. To go snuffling at the earth, and to claw on the bark of trees. To eat flesh, or fish. To make love to more than one, every which way. These are all bad things. These are not the things that men do. But we are men, are we not? We are men because the Father has made us men! The Island of Dr Moreau.

Did I really not know this was here? Did I block it out? I was even at the E Shed markets not long ago and didn’t see it. Why have I been picking on poor dead Heath Ledger, and Ron Gomboc, when this obscenity was just down the road? Great submission from Richard. He says it’s been there for months, but the tail is still propped up with bits of plywood. It doesn’t even look like a quokka. Or is the fur yet to come?

quokkaquokkatail

This entry was posted in worst art, worst public art, worst sculpture and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to But we are Quokkas, are we not?

1. Hayden says:

One of the radio stations had a campign going not long back to put a big quokka on Rottnest, but i think they just left the thing at the port. 92.9?

Stupid idea anyway.

2. Hayden says:

I’d assume so, but then for a piece of radio junk it looks quite firmly cemented into the ground.

3. B.T. says:

Are those its feet, or does the damn thing have 2 dicks to walk on?

4. Tony T says:

Pity about the pixing on the cheesecake.

5. Rolly says:

That’s a bloody obscenity. A monstrostity. An insult to Mother Nature.

I’d like to see some dumb-shit rugby player try to drop kick it though.

6. shazza says:

It’s hard to believe this is in Fremantle. Where’s the tags? Surely a local young un should have etched some handywork on it by now.

7. Cookster says:

I watched half an hour of a movie starring that loveable 80s sitcom puppet Alf yesterday and the head of this thing is disturbingly similar – if Alf had been caught in a bushfire.

Fyi, an update on The Perth Files daylight savings poll:

YES to keep daylight saving 94 (64%)

NO to DLS (I’m a zombie) 46 (31%)

I can’t vote – I live elsewhere 6 (4%)

8. The General says:

Big hair-less furball – no wonder everyone around the world thinks we are Crocodile Hunters or something. Hopefully it didn’t cost taxpayers anything ….

9. Vic Demised says:

It doesn’t look anything like a quokka because it is nowhere near its natural habitat -a rubbish bin.

10. Groucho says:

Would love to see a few Quokka bashing rotto yobbos come across one this size walking down the street.

Reminds me of the Sylvester Cat cartoon and the mouse come boxing kangaroo skit.

Nevertheless, it does have a Killer Quokka quality look about is, especially as it is about to kidnap that young woman and scale the Bank West building.

11. Pingback: » Simon Drake | Czechoslovak First League 1947-48

12. Slanderer says:

My money’s on it being an albino rat. Probably hopped off a sheep carrier. Black plague anyone?

13. bcplanning says:

This is the first time I have ever heard of this animal. I had to wikipedia it to make sure it wasnt a giant rat.

Quite often also moreso than Svenkish and Welsh mariners, TLA.

15. Emile says:

All you boring and grumpy people.
    Get a life, have some fun.

16. B.T. says:

This might belong in a “Where is it now?” category. Back in May I saw it outside the E-sheds in Freo, but when I drove by there with an overseas visitor in July – it was gone.

17. Pingback: Outrage Sunday 85 Geo-Engineering | The Worst of Perth