Dawgs

I’m wondering whether they should just get a dog. Highgate.

dogscudogs

This entry was posted in worst art, worst sculpture and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Dawgs

1. skib says:

Let’s just get this out of the way:

It’s not a very high gate.

2. Hugh Jass says:

I see what you did there!

3. Groucho says:

So we know where’s ya bin….no but where’s ya wheely bin ?

The big dog looks stoned.

4. poor lisa says:

What a lovely dog. Almost as nice as not having a dog at all.

5. Rolly says:

Why did you say that, dear poor lisa?
    I was going to say the same.
    Not fair.

One can only wonder at the horrors their mantelpiece inevitably contains.

7. poor lisa says:

Rolly I’ve been racking my brains to remember who really said it, was it Noel Coward?

I’m on the case too, poor lisa.

Meanwhile, it was definitely Noel who explained to Laurence Olivier’s young son, when the latter saw two dogs copulating and asked what they were doing, that … “It’s like this, dear boy, the one in front is blind and the kind one behind is pushing him.”

9. Rolly says:

I’ll leave the research to you, Snuff. I’m months behind with other stuff.

A Google search brings up the names of George Walford and Warden Sparrow, which i confess mean nothing to me.

Thanks for the tip, Bento. Indeed, the quote can be found here, attributed by the late George Walford to Warden Sparrow.

Walford, it seems, was a key proponent of Systematic Ideology.

Now … who is Warden Sparrow ?

12. Vic Demised says:

Now all they need is a recording of a dog barking. Cheap and mess free way to deter burglars?

And rescue lost ceramic mountaineers.

Given that he was a contemporary of Walford, I’m going to plump for the late John Sparrow, Warden of All Souls College, Oxford, poor lisa.

My guess is also based on 3 shreds of evidence. Firstly, his name features in 6 of the 8 highest ranked links in a Google search for “Warden Sparrow”. Secondly, the tenor of the quote strikes me as not incongruent with someone of whom Paul Dean writes, in his review of John Lowe’s The Warden: A Portrait of John Sparrow … “The resident Fellows were less sympathetic to him than their non-resident counterparts, but all agreed that, if you wanted a convivial dining companion or stimulating public speaker, Sparrow was your man.”

Thirdly, given Walford’s interest in politics, it’s likely he would have encountered Sparrow’s writings, an interesting snippet of which can be found here, in the notes of Angelo Quattrocchi’s first hand account, The Beginning of the End: France, May 1968.

“*Mr John Sparrow is the Warden (Director) of All Souls College, Oxford. He recently made a plea for stronger repression of student unrest and again betrayed the motives of his own generation by describing rebels as ‘sluts, male and female, making love (if that is the word for it) in the streets’. v. article Revolting Students (sic) in The Listener London, 4th July, 1963.”

If I’m wrong, I hope I have managed to at least fail “informatively so that you can at least find a skull on a pikestaff near where you’re going”, as Clay Shirky put it with characteristic eloquence in Gin, Television, and Social Surplus.

Glad to see the students were revolting, even back then.

16. poor lisa says: