Tropic of Midland

For a hundred years or more, Midland, has been dying. And not one man, in these last hundred years or so, has been crazy enough to put a bomb up the asshole of Midland and set it off. Centrepoint is rotting away, dying piecemeal. But it needs the coup de grace, it needs to be blown to smithereens. Not one of us is intact, and yet we have in us all the continents and the seas between the continents and the birds of the air. We are going to put it down — the evolution of the Midland station precinct which has died but which has not been buried.
Henry Miller Tropic of Midland

Nice try Midland. Very nice try, but I think a tropical paint makeover was a little ambitious. I would have gone with a boot stamping a human face forever. Haven’t been down Midland way for a while. This is one reason why. If you are a Henry Miller fan, let me recommend Opus Pistorum.

On The Beach

On The Beach

This entry was posted in worst advertising, worst graphic design, worst sign and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Tropic of Midland

1. Vic Demised says:

Two doors in two days, LA. Have you been reading Huxley?

It seems several emergencies have already occurred, but those exiting used the upstairs windows.

And you’ve got to love the way the painted palm trees blend so well with the weeds.

2. No Henry Miller. Plenty of back door action there too.

3. I usually get outrage when I post about Midland, with commenters saying it’s a utopia, not a craphole. None so far.

The new Dome on the western side of Midland Gate is very nice. Very roomy. None of the deafening doof-doof music you get at your inner-city funkplaces like Soto.

5. skib says:

This reminds me of what I like to call ‘Midland Beach”

I’m not in town to take a photo, but there’s a huge sandpit, assuming it’s still there, over the road from Midland Gate (on the North side) – Midland Beach.

Midland a utopia? Count one vote from me for craphole. If you ever see an attractive woman there offer her directions, she’s probably lost.

6. skib says:

Streeview to the rescue. A shot of Midland Beach with some of the charming locals – getting ready to go for a swim?

Link

7. #6 Locals or visiting Sumo wrestlers ? Now where is that flashing “Midland” neon sign ?

8. Rolly says:

Waistland ?????

Indeed, Rolly. They always said T.S.Eliot was an anagram.

10. Let me know when it’s on the market. It will make a great site for adult film making.