You aim for the palace and get drowned in the sewer

Mark Twain
Is the reason this place closed because they got sick of saying it’s Soo-rahj not Sewerage?
Soon to be another vanished worst before the Beaufort Street Bloggers get to it.
Suraj not Sewerage

Suraj not Sewerage

This entry was posted in not worst, worst advertising, worst name, worst sign and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to You aim for the palace and get drowned in the sewer

1. Grrr says:

Suraj might be a ‘worst’ now, but it certainly was not when it was open. Even the plastic tablecloths had a certain 1970s charm. And I never made the connection to sewerage in all the years I went there.

The food, if sometimes a little heavy on the ghee, was also damn tasty – and much nicer than that sterile, over-priced, over-hyped Indian place across the road that I shan’t name.
    Now that is a worst.

(Seriously, those renovations are appalling. They gutted what little atmosphere used to be trapped within Gogo’s.)

You know what else is worse? That once family-run business is being turned into yet another trendy wine-bar that will no doubt be populated with fauxhawk-topped, pop-collar wearing hipsters – or investment bankers with too much money.

Right. I got that off my chest. I’ll end here before I start my critique of The Banyan Tree.

In a Paul Theroux book, one character called Suraj Prasad gets a lot of mail addressed to Sir Reg Prasad.

3. Matt says:

Ha, funny I never picked up Suraj and sewerage either… but I can concur with Grrr that it was indeed a magnificent place to eat.

The name comes from a combination of the former owners names Susan and Roger… and incidently Suraj means “Sun” in Hindi.

I remember the first time I went to Suraj, and thought “why the fuck am I sitting in this shitbox waiting for 1 1/2 hours to get my meal”… only to forgive everything when the food finally arrived…

Apparently it’s being changed into a new Turkish restaurant / bar along with the former Halal butcher next door to it… which I think will be more of a candidate for worst of Perth than Suraj ever was…

Here it is in it’s former glory:

4. Kwality says:

Vale Suraj. Fantastic food, fantastic prices, and Roger always the gentleman.

5. When you post worst 6 days a week, you notice sewerage in everything.

6. Heath says:

I was so bummed when this place closed, due to gentrification of course. They were asking enormous rent for this and the halal butcher next door. Was such great food and a good atmosphere, I hope to god Roger pops up somewhere again soon.

7. Jeez, really annoyed I never got there now.

8. Looks like it’s earned a coveted not worst tag.

9. poor lisa says:

Definitely not in the least bit worst.

10. Sue, Rog, you better be opening up a new place. Looks like you are missed greatly. Let us know where you set up.

11. Like you LA, we’re now heartbroken that we’re not going to make it to this joint. While the Turkish restaurant / bar that Matt mentions sounds interesting, it’s unfortunate that Sewerage had to go to make way for it. Wish the rents were too high for Sienna’s instead of Sue and Roger.

12. margeryx says:

Why do people keep going to Sienna’s? Doesn’t everyone in Perth know how bad it is by now?

Last time I was there (only because everything else around was closed) it was dirty, expensive, poor food and slack attitude from the staff. Plus they make you pay for water!

13. Kwality says:

is it in the “Entertainment Book”? Many folk are blindly guided by that evil bible.

I know a Sharny Kiara i don’t like the name it’s just a bit daft and gay but don’t me wrong she’s a great kid.