Powerage

[Asking to meet with Italian businessmen instead of government officials.] I want to talk to these people because they stay in power and you change all the time.
Nikita Sergeyevich Khrushchev

World Youth Day shirts now are now available in Target according to Cimbali. They’re not content to drag a corpse to Australia, (although having watched Border Security, I’m not sure that the deadun won’t be heading for the secure incinerator at the airport), but displacing perfectly good joke tshirts at Target with these abominations? This will not stand! Can you get me a shot of them in the bargain bin after Youth Corpse Day is over Cimbali?

This entry was posted in worst advertising, worst fashion, worst graphic design, worst of perth and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Powerage

1. Rolly says:

My perpetual prayer:

“May the Good Lord save me from religion.”

It might be possible to find a few humorous things to say about all this superstitious bullshit if it didn’t constantly impact so negatively on the emotional, mental and social wellbeing of our society.

We desperately need freedom *from* religion and you can be damned certain that we ain’t gonna get it.

‘Vale’ rational thinking.

I wish they would get rid of this earnest dour form of Catholicism and adopt the dayglo Mexican version with flying madonnas and dancing skulls and all that crazy voodoo. If you’re gonna get dogma, might as well get it with a tequila slammer

3. I’m not so sure about that. When I was in Mexico City I saw pilgrims shuffling on their knees for miles to a church. They were a little more interestingly dressed than in Target shirts though.

yes, I’ve seen pilgrims at Tinos in Greece climbing the hill on their knees, although they had actually laid a strip of carpet over the cobbles. shag pile penitents

I don’t think you can call yourself a proper Mick until you’ve done a bit of self flagellation. Aussies left-footers are just so piss-weak, they can’t even do the fish thing on Friday.

No hair shirts for sale at Target?

5. Mat B says:

Scary thing is, I’ve actually seen people wear tee-shirts like these. It’s usually American tourists, mind you…

6. squib says:

I’m thinking I haven’t had enough coffees yet. My mind must be playing tricks on me. That can’t be real

7. Mazarina says:

scarily, i know people who would WANT to wear that. sigh.

8. Cookster says:

This is a loose link to this thread, although I’m sure Mr Cohen regards his frequent trips to Rottnest as something akin to a pilgrimage…

But did anyone see Dave’s article last week – live on the scene – about the young bloke who got run over by a truck on Rottnest?

Serious stuff and straight reporting, until we get to the last paragraph and we find out the boy’s Dad was in his unit “smoking herring” when the accident occured.

Priceless! Oh, and the kid’s okay…

9. No. I will be seeking that one out.

10. Levon says:

I just find it disappointing that the Church never adopted the Buddy Christ from “Dogma”

11. meccano101 says:

What ever happened to JOHN 2:14
    “Take these things hence; make not my Father’s house an house of merchandise.”

I assume they are not giving these abominations away?

12. cimbali says:

I do find it interesting that we find these t shirts more worrying than the one which says ” you can’t f**k me yet I’m not drunk enough” which I have seen on a teenage girl.
    Actually they should do one that says ” you can’t f**k me yet I’m a Christian”

13. AV says:

Tres chic. Very Balga housewife.

14. AV says:

BTW: No story on Perth’s worst religious cult?

15. You’re covering it very well AV.

16. 12 Cimbali. How about “you can’t fuck me again, I’m born again.”?

17. cimbali says:

How about “I’m a born again virgin”

18. AV says:

You’re covering it very well AV.

Thanks. (I’m a little bit hamstrung, though, given my current place of residence and the lack of online reportage.)

19. Rolly says:

Cimbali @ 17

3 times divorced, I’m a born again bachelor!

20. I think you should definitely book Yorkie for number 5.

21. Rolly says:

He’ll be long expired before then!

22. Before next year? He looked great the last time I saw him. Well not great, but healthy. well not healthy but…alive.

23. Frank Calabrese says:

[Before next year? He looked great the last time I saw him. Well not great, but healthy. well not healthy but…alive.]

I think it’s the 6 months of the year livingin Broome doing weddings that may account for that :-)

24. Midlandia says:

I’ll be gleefully attending World Youth Day myself.
    That said, I’ve never been much for most articles of clothing like this, in particular that of tacky looking variety. It’s a lovely verse (providing you can actually read it through the post-modern jumble that is the design), but a terrible looking t-shirt. The gospel shouldn’t look like something a PICA reject vomited on a t-shirt. Just my opinion, though.

25. margeryx says:

Jesus called – he’d like his religion back.

26. Mazarina says:

am I the only one who’s concerned about what kind of power you’ll receive when the ‘spirit has come upon you’????? and what’s this about witnesses? sounds like adultshop merchandise to me

27. Just wait – watch the Flying Spaghetti Monster make a mess of that shirt!

28. #
    1 Rage

Am I the only one that sees this with it’s own tab?

#
    edit this on May 29, 2008 at 6:45 pm2 Frank Calabrese

Yep, I’ve noticed that myself.

#
    edit this on May 30, 2008 at 8:55 am3 Bill O’Slatter

I’ll put this tab here because …… um advertising , TWOP is in the PowerAge and needs to flog a line of Christian garments including Jesus and Mary underpants.

#
    edit this on May 30, 2008 at 9:06 am4 Rage

‘Crucify this’ on the front of women’s underwear could be a chic, understated way to get one’s message across.

#
    edit this on May 30, 2008 at 9:09 am5 The Lazy Aussie

Somehow this post’s comments have been split up.

#
    edit this on May 30, 2008 at 10:41 am6 Bill O’Slatter

Open thread , Open thread .. Now Frank see how Lannie McT is faced with the burden of an overloaded Armadale line ( needs more train cars , excess bogans ) and an underloaded Mandurah line ( not enough bogans on day trips) . Now see how she solves that one. I think only Jesus could have forecast this scenario with global warmin’ an nat.

#
    edit this on May 30, 2008 at 5:54 pm7 Rage

LA, probably because it has somehow acquired it’s own tab at the top of the page.

29. Oh, sorry, I didn’t know what you were talking about. trasferred the comments to this and deleted the page.

30. lactatingbookworm says:

Scary… What should we do when we see one of these people? I dare a world youth day attendee to buy one, wear it as a crop top and go clubbing in Darlinghurst.