Go Warney, Piss off Punter

How did we get from this, to “Piss off Punter”, and “Sack Gilly” so quickly? Have a great Australia Day. New post late Monday.

warney
warney

add to del.icio.us :: Add to Blinkslist :: add to furl :: Digg it :: add to ma.gnolia :: Stumble It! :: add to simpy :: seed the vine :: :: :: TailRank

This entry was posted in worst graphic design and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Go Warney, Piss off Punter

1. gaugepin says:

Happy Australia Day TWOP, and all who sail in her!

2. lisa says:

Thanks for that.

Gawd, I hate Australia Day. Partly my chardonnay socialist tendencies, but also a worrying RSL ‘show some respect’ attitude i seem to be developing as I skid toward 40. Worst sights so far:

Took the kids to Maylands McDonalds this morning. A couple were in there buying takeaway and wearing matching blue tank tops emblazoned with ‘Support [australian flag pic] or f%&* off’ and dragging their thongs on the ground as they shovelled their McMuffins & cokes into their gobs & chewed with their mouths open. I mean really.

Guildford Rd bassndean, a chalked sign saying ‘Aussie owned deli this way’. I mean what does that mean? Owned by Australian citizens of some particular ethnic extraction? Not owned by McDonalds? Sinister.

And the flags – I hate em all, from the shitty little ones in every service station to the ones on bikinis to the giant ones that get draped around ugly party boys and vomited and bled on at the end of the night.

I mean really, Howard is gone, but he’s succeeded in creating a very creepy strain of nationalism that’s becoming entrenched.

And I mean really, most of all, if you’re going to use the flag as a symbol, use it with respect, not as a symbol of ‘I’m a bogan/slut who is hellbent on spending Sunday in RPH ED’.

3. Mez says:

ahhh Lisa – you just ranted my rant
    thanks

4. Ophuph Hucksake says:

lisa:

Yup, the national flag has its place, and that’s on top of a pole. Though I do make an exception for nubile girls converting the flag into bikini tops or sarongs ;-)

5. Laura says:

Lisa, I totally agree with you. But my young kids don’t get my perspective at all. I have tried to explain that the rise of flag-waving nationalism in history has always had a sinister side; plus there is the issue of Australia Day ignoring Aboriginal history, as well as the total lack of the wider debate about what it means to be Australian and to live in a multicultural society.

Judging from the various Australia Day paraphernalia trudging around the Galleria this morning (eg little flags on bobbly silvery antennae stuck on a hairband – wearer wearing flag tattoos to match) the whole concept has been white-trashified.

6. Anonymous Perthon says:

So far this weekend I have seen Oz flag bathers, 8 billion little flag tatoos, 148 flag cape wearing guys, 42 flag towels, 1876 flagged cars and several flags painted on faces – consequently i’m frightened and staying indoors until the banjo’s stop playing

7. Frank Calabrese says:

And right on cue, the Yobs fought – at Mullaloo.

Note only Ch 7 had the coverage.

8. The Intellectual Bogan says:

I too was disturbed by the number of flags on display by mouthbreathing knuckledraggers leading up to Australia Day.

I suspect that “Aussie Owned Deli” means “Don’t bother trying to find it because it’ll be shut”.

9. Frank Calabrese says:

I note the total absence of Australia Day coverage in Today’s Worst – except for the item about the Eagles Playter being involved in a fight at the South Perth foreshore, and being given a Move On Notice, which he breached :-)

10. Mazarina says:

Agree completely with all of the above! By the way, I wonder if the people buying these flags are struck by even the tiniest smidge of irony at the fact that all of this paraphenalia is produced in China? Perhaps that’s the nod to multiculturalism?

11. Rolly says:

My “Made in China” Good Aussie beach towel printed with the design of our national ensign is frequently used to dry the unmentionable parts of my person. Does that in some way constitute an unpatriotic statement?