Hop Like a Butterfly

Last night I had a dream, When I got to Perth,
I had one hell of a rumble.
I had to beat the Bundy Bear first,
For claiming to be King of the bush.

For this fight, I’ve wrestled with platypus,
I’ve tussled with a dugong.
I can run through Tim Winton and not get wet.
When Boxing Kangaroo meets me,
He’ll pay his debt. Muhammad Ali.

I was sitting trolling through over 3000 photos trying to find my shot of the boxing kangaroo sign in Fremantle, when Shazza emailed me one.  I had been trying to find the pic after the fake news stories that our brave lads and lasses had been asked to take down their giant version at the winter olympics. I haven’t put the kanga up before, because it was designed by a relative, and have been trying to avoid featuring said relative, despite his work covering most hard and soft surfaces in Perth and most of the packaging of liquor in the state. Fortunately the relative’s work is of a very high standard, but what about the boxing kangaroo, which I think he tossed off in 2 minutes while sitting on the bog? As a national symbol it’s certainly much better than our shitty national flag. The winter olympians should have gone with this version which includes the tinny of swan. (Which I think he designed too.) This pub is also a worst in several ways. I remember it being a craphole infested with sour faced skimpys and sourer faced blokes. Worst one. Then it was to be totally renovated. Worst two. Then kiddies got inside and burnt it. Worst three.

This entry was posted in worst graphic design, worst sign and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Hop Like a Butterfly

1. Caribou Bob says:

It seems Paris Hilton has tagged her territory to include the roo.

Despite its relatively benign history, anything within cooee of Bondy is automatically worst by association, although the tinny does help, and I do get to post this old favourite again.

3. munkipants says:

that boxing kangaroo has always looked a little pissed off to me. like he’d be a right cunt.

• rolly says:

Having lived on a Southern property infested with these animals, I can assure you, shazz, that, in their natural state of being, they are nasty pieces of work when they feel that their dominance of the ‘harem’ is being challenged.
      I heard several tales of blokes being approached aggressively by apparently short sighted ‘alpha male’ boomers.
      A rather chilling thought considering the damage that they do to each other when fighting for herd dominance.

4. shazza says:

I’m a fan of the boxing kanga. It’s a great symbol.

Did the rellie design the Swan on the beer can too TLA?

BTW the pub looks like it might be due to open again soon.

Didn’t the paper refer to Mr Castledine’s several hours of work in creating the roo?

6. mez says:

Not Worst. Takes me back to a less complicated era when we did not care what beer tastes like and if the barmaid was wearing boxing gloves you knew not to complain.

7. NVL_II says:

So I take it this was shot before the great “draw a cock on everything” craze of 2009?

PS, this photo would be funnier if the kangaroo had a cock drawn on it. Am I right?

8. The image is familiar, but please remind me where this pub was/is.

• I remember now – corner of South Tce and High St. Was it called The Railway? A truly seedy place, but a welcome alternative sometimes to the likes of the Newport and Sail & Anchor.

Other intriguing drinking holes in Freo: The Orient Hotel (or whatever it’s called now), and the union pub/club in the south end, I think on Henry St – a true throwback to the glory days of the six o’clock swill, etc.

9. mez says:

…and I want to smack the little shit who tagged it… probably a friend of the little shit who burnt the hotel down

10. Mez says:

TLA. I was told the other night that your relation, who designed the boxing kangaroo also had a hand in the design of your avatar. Is this true?