The Riddle of the Sphinx

is not, “What walks on 5 legs in the morning..?” but more like, “Why would someone build this in a garden in Kingston Street Nedlands? I do like the kerbing though. From Teh ‘Rage.
Sphinx Back door

Sphinx Back door

This entry was posted in worst art, worst sculpture and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to The Riddle of the Sphinx

1. Groucho says:

This is surely a monumental mystery….why is the sphinx’s arse the same colour as the building in the background ?

Splendid kerbing indeed.

2. CK says:

Surely it can on have been constructed with the assistance of space aliens.

And yes, big ups on the kerbing.

3. Groucho says:

Yes, technically no human could have constructed kerbing like this. It sort of distracts from the lion thing doesn’t it ?

Coincidence, Groucho – the reddish hue on the hindquarters is due to bore water. A delightful stain that can be seen through all the 246 suburbs. I feel a haiku coming on…

5. rhubarb says:

A Perth Modern School graduate. For sure.

6. What walks on four legs
    A Pink arse in the morning?
    The big sphinx sculpture

7. Groucho says:

…truly amazing…246 suburbs….

Splendid kerbing, delightful stains, alien intervention, coincidental pink arses…..I am not hearing anything negative about this Sphinx.

8. Am I going to have to give it a not worst tag? Perhaps if we could see the face better, its negative elements might be more apparent.

• Winny Blue says:

It’s funny you mention the face. I know a relative of the person who commissioned this sphinx, and it is actually modelled after this person. I am not sure if they still own the house.

haiku #6009:

Zoomorphic Nedlands
    Where the kerbing is curving
    Around a monster.

10. Groucho says:

Me sphinx I saw a pussycat
    A lion on the kerb
    Pink Hugh my arse

11. CK says:

Surely there must be an ancient Valley of the Mayors somewhere hereabouts.

12. cimbali says:

Just catching up on some of these posts – a refreshing interest in Kerbing is emerging. I do feel in this instance that the sphinx himself may have laid the kerbing (a quick check under the tail should show a correspondingly shaped orifice.)
    If we are going to have a kerbing section LA you must make sure to use the correct terminology – this for instance is the semi mountable version. A fully mountable kerb is also available for the more accommodating and of course the not-mountable-under-any-circumstances kerb which is generally used to keep football fans from parking on your verge but probably could have wider applications.

Does LA need to curb his enthusiasm, cimbali?

LA – please start a ‘worst pun’ category.

He tried that a few months ago but it died in the paper…

Get ready for the heart attack stare…

17. Bertie Beetle says:

Blast from the past!

When I was a in primary school (18 years ago @ Hollywood PS) I was very good friends with the family / owners of this. Way back then it was a massive block of limestone… I remember helping scrape away a section of it, a few friends were over helping also.

18. Wow, Bertie Beetle. Nice to get some history. Do you remember who the face is supposed to be?

19. Bertie Beetle says:

Back in the days when I was frequenting their house, there was no face… the ‘back-end’ was the only section we ever worked on haha.

I must say the filler between the limestone blocks looks very odd.

Nice one re: Perth Modern School, I went there myself :-)

20. Were you the prime minister, the governor general, or the world class musician of their sign?

Hey Bertie,

I’m writing about the sculpture for The Sunday Times this week. Can I have a quick chat with you? I’m at
    dcohen@amnet.net.au