The Worst of Perth vs Typography

I will discuss this further closer to the time. AGDA do’s are always interesting. Some of you pigs should come down.

This entry was posted in worst graphic design and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to The Worst of Perth vs Typography

1. Natalia Fan #1 says:

$10? Fremantle? Design? Fuck that.

2. Shreiking Wombat says:

Bar closes before 9pm?

• Natalia Fan #1 says:

“‘It seems to be cool in some circles to describe ourselves as dull. How absurd’, he said”.

• I myself would be fine with drunks, but typographers might be more delicate flowers.

• Bag O'Turnips says:

On Sunday evening, I was out blowin’ the froth off of a few pints with a good friend of mine, who’s a local, living close to Freo. We were ambling along after having some nosh and we were utterly bemused at how softcock the port city has become on a public holiday (Foundation Day: a true Worst high day and holiday) Sunday night. Dead as. Try ordering a meal after 10PM: forget it! Bars were beginning to shut parts of their bars.

Is Freo falling to the wanker curse of gentrification? Have the herpes Hippies cleared off to such an extent that it is safe to inhabit and make anodyne, in the overpriced sense? Gee, you’d have more nightlife after midnight at the 24-hour servos near—but not in—the central 6160 area!

Softcocks. Where else can I get my kicks? Now that Teh Arrondissement has become host to these masturbatory parasites (I’m lookin’ at you, Duke Nukem), I might have to slum it in Vic Park, or Morley. I can even get a full menu all hours, unlike Freo. Ok, it’s Ed’s, but I would expect at least something there in Fremantle.

3. Jackson says:

You are associating yourself with an event that uses “vibrancy” in it’s ad copy?
    The beginning of the end for TWOP. Move over John Laws.

If we could keep our tongues in check we wouldn’t need moderating.

5. True Blue Bonza says:

A comma on a new line? That really is worst typography.

6. Jaidyn-Jaxxon says:

Tongue perpetually in check around here… we also have a floating comma and a cloven hyperlink… am I missing something?

7. sam says:

tongue in check?

8. vegan says:

will they be talking about the correct placement of commas?

9. FlyLo says:

Fremantle? Nah, sounds like a bunch of AIDS

10. Mez says:

Kulcha is a nice venue – best balcony in Freo
    You should discuss their old logo “creepy clown font” versus their new “chic” K

11. shazza says:

Being staggering distance I would attend, if I didn’t already have a date with Maggie Creek.

The $100 I’m spending on lunch with the Prime Minister tomorrow means my function funds are exhausted.

What happens during the “networking”?

14. Mez says:

“AGDA do’s are always interesting”

15. Bag O'Turnips says:

If it means that I can stick my oar in about those people who purport to be “graphic designers” who use Arial and try to palm it off as Helvetica. If it as if they’re too not arsed enough to go either purchase that font suitcase, or use a Mac (which has had this Modernist font installed since Jobs knows when) and have the cheek to call themselves one amongst that profession. Those who choose not to have what is a staple font in print and design and (IMHO) a masterpiece of clarity and balance, are likely not worthy to call themselves one, using what is a reverse-engineered imitation rather than a sincere homage to the original (which Helvetica itself is an evolution of Akzidenz-Grotesk). This sorts the rank amateurs from the professionals and aesthetes.

Enough of my design fascism. Part of the reason why I chose not to continue in the discipline of design: so catty and precious, like my rant. Should be an entertaining night.

• No, I think it will be good ones.

• These are going to be more the types that design their own fonts.

• Bag O'Turnips says:

So long as there’s no underhand reverse-engineering and passing it off as something entirely your own, that’s fine by me.

But I dare suggest that they’d have Helvetica in their font suitcases, simply by the sheer number of clients who’d mandate that. Or often ask for Arial, ’cause they know no better oftentimes.

• True Blue Bonza says:

I think you’ll find they design typefaces. Fonts are just a manifestation.

• Natalia Fan #1 says:

Always so eloquently reasonable Turnips – I hate (envy) you.

• skink says:

Helvetica, Arial? you limpwristed revisionist lightweight

if you must be a Swiss fascist wearing a black skivvy and novelty spectacles, at least use Univers, and grow a pair.

• Jaidyn-Jaxxon says:

BRAGGADOCIO YA PACK O’ CUNTS

• Bag O'Turnips says:

Skink, time and place for everything. If I really wanted to be a fascist, I’d cross the border south into the country of half of my origin and say my piece in Microgramma Bold, all uppercse, and send them away in a cowering mess of Curlz MT, or send them away and have them return re-educated, speaking a far more compliant DIN 1451 Mittelschrift.

But I’m not always a fascist pig, y’know…just seeing misappropriation and misuse of fonts brings out the dictatorial tendencies in me. Maybe I need to go to Affordable Comic Sans Counselling to confront my demons and exorcise them. But on the night, I shall be alternating between rotis urbanity and Gill Sans Ultra-Fuckoff sarcasm.

16. Bag O'Turnips says:

Correction: “It is as if they’re…” rather than “If it as if”.

Bloody hypocrite am I.

17. cimbali says:

Bugger! TLA just checked the date and realised I have just booked a few days at Rottnest at the end of that week. So sorry not to be there to heckle. Break a seraph.

18. Mikaela says:

I didn’t ask him – I just went ahead and booked!
    We have a French student arriving on the Tuesday and school goes back the next week so it was the only time we could fit in a holiday. If there was a late boat from freo then he could come over after the bar closed but I doubt there is more than one sad ferry during the winter.