Weekend Worstoff 11 The Vanishing

A long anticipated worst vanishing has finally happened. The Jumbo is extinct.

One of the lions had already been liberated last week, but the other was still attached to its pedestal. Must have been too heavy to carry off. I suppose it ended up in the rubble. Will be a lovely office block now. Goodbye Jumbo, or special treasure as the sign actually said.

The King of Bayswater reports that the Demo squad is now working on The Norwood Hotel, also previously featured. Goodbye Norwood.

While we’re on a demolition theme, here’s a picture I took in central Beijing in the famous Qianmen area. What you see is what’s left many poor people’s houses. They’ve been moved to the outskirts of the city. Goodbye Qianmen.

And one more demolition. here is the inside of Cinema City recently. Goodbye Cin City.

This entry was posted in *Worst of china, *Worst of The World, vanished worst, weekend worstoff, worst architecture and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Weekend Worstoff 11 The Vanishing

1. rhubarbwhine says:

What’s going to go in / where Cinema City was? Was it no longer operational? I no longer live in Perth but Cinema City was part of my teenage years. Please tell?

2. rhubarbwhine says:

Apartments? I remember when Cinema City was new. (Yes, I am old). I even remember what was there before. How strange it feels when something ‘new’ is old!

3. Frank Calabrese says:

[Apartments? I remember when Cinema City was new. ]

And do you remember Ch 7 showing a live telecast of the opening – complete with a mini pagaent of floats depicting Classic Movies.

I think that inspired them to transfer the Xmas Pagaent from a daytime event, to a night one.

4. Frank Calabrese says:

WA Family First Launch video is up :-)

Dan Sillyvan is as boring as batshit.

5. Rolly says:

That doesn’t make you old, rhubarbwhine.

Aging is merely an attitude; mind over matter:
    Just don’t mind that you no longer matter.

As I said in the *other* blog, I am getting closer to

*G*rowing
    *O*ld
    *D*isgracefully

I just have to pluck up the courage ;)

6. rhubarb says:

Frank Calabrese

[And do you remember Ch 7 ……the Xmas Pagaent from a daytime event, to a night one.]

Rolly
    [That doesn’t make you old, rhubarbwhine.My *children* remember the opening and especially the remarkable effect viewing the Town Hall reflected in all that mirror glass.]

Maybe I am used to bloggers being a generation younger than me ;0)

Other blog?

7. Frank Calabrese says:

[I did not even know it had changed to a night one. It was still a day pageant last I saw it. Does it still run? ]

For a visual example :-)

8. Frank Calabrese says:

Good lord, someone posting footage of him/herself being the Chicken Treat Mascot on the Xmas Pagaent Float, complete with Commentry by Basil “The Nose” Zempilas.

9. Frank Calabrese says:

[Yes, Every Year on the first or second Saturday in December it infests the city, notmally at 8pm, but with Daylight Savings this has been pushed back to 9pm.]

I sit corrected, but according to the Ch 7 page it is at 8.30pm during the last 2 years, and it even survived a change of route for a frew years during construction of the Mandurah Line with Road Works due to the Tunnel.

10. Rolly says:

Rubarbwhine,

I was referring to the J’Scro “Young White Lesbians” effort which I no longer access: I reckon it’s piss weak.

11. rhubarbwhine says:

Frank, thanks for the laugh.

Rolly – thanks for the clarification.