Mondo Wickepin

Natalia Fan’s devestating devastating coverage of Gnometown Wickepin was so extensive, it will take two posts. Pity Sean Flynn didn’t live long enough to wrap a Leica around this baby. If Wickepin has a wrong side of the tracks, that’s where you will find Gnometown. I’ve left them clickable for well worth it larger views. The ram head pillars sort of say “abondon all hope…” but if you were going to Wickepin, you probably had left your hope with your dignity and a pile of your clothing next to the Moora wormhole, for this is where it emerges.

This entry was posted in worst public art, worst sculpture and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Mondo Wickepin

1. Bill O'Slatter says:

Those seeking gnomic wisdom may abandon all hope here.

2. Bag O'Turnips says:

Oo-wee, NF#1, they are some truly dystopian, disturbing tableaux from the Wheatbelt Badlands. The aforementioned numerous gnomes milling in stony silence; the concrete birds, frozen yet pecking out your corneas; the masonry frog chorus, ready to sing something far more sinister than McCartney ever could cobble together and the pièce de résistance, a scarecrow appears a hybrid of a hipster and infamous Narre Warren (Melbourne outer suburb) bellend Corey Worthington.

I hope you have a good therapeutic relationship with someone suitably qualified, NF#1, for this too has left me somewhat distressed! Well done, Worstalicious!

• Natalia Fan #1 says:

Thanks for your concern Turnips, but I think the damage was done long ago. I actually quite like the Wheatbelt too.

3. Jaidyn-Jaxxon says:

The real worst is that ute

• orbea says:

Finally, some critique from the TWOP regulars.

And in case our cultural learnings have been consigned to the dustbin of CGI, the Disneyed Snow White and Seven Dwarves gets their own sign.

The collection of wheelbarrows, and the ‘spectacle’ of boots to the right in thrid pic are clear standouts.

When it comes to Worsts, the WA contributions shit all over Melbourne and UnZud

4. Rolly says:

An ‘ouse an’ ‘ome, eh?

The ‘n’ouse got lost somewhere in the process.

has Dardanup Gnomesville graced these pages yet?

6. shazza says:

I like the coloured bottles along the fence. Adds a classy touch. No shoving of course.

7. Jaidyn-Jaxxon says:

I wasn’t aware elephantasias afflicted the wheatbelt, but there you go, just pig fucking ignorant I guess. Looks pretty advanced.

The Curse of Gnome strikes:
    He drives his army in a
    Sky blue Chevrolet.

9. Lani says:

Hi all,

First time comment on TWOP – discovered this website last week – can’t stop looking at all posts – so awesome! Thankyou LA and everyone!

I like this gnome-city. Sort of how I like houses ridiculously decked out in lights and christmas crap at chrismas.

Liked it more when I saw it’s made from random people coming and adding to it. Reminds me of Pooh bear’s Corner (btwn Canberra and coast) – fond childhood memories of looking foward to seeing these reflector-light eyes of a spray-painted bear in little corner of mountain road after hours of getting motion sick in the car. Over the years people have added teddys and toys (now also junk and vandalism I see).

sorry not active links

10. Sholaa says:

Their neighbours must be thrilled. Does the Most Out of Place Ornament Award go to that terracotta warrior, or did I miss something else that isn’t absolutely ghastly?

Also, unless I’m mistaken, someone has tried to carve a dolphin from a stick and propped it up in the background. Think I looked at those photos too long, the levels of worst keep multiplying. If only this horror was in Crabtown, it would have been set on fire by now.

Whats so bad about gnomes if you want to waist time i dare you to go and count them all. That scarecrow is cool and so is the bull in the first picture.