Tim Tanks

Snuff is spending a few weeks Shaolin training, so we will be without his fabulous links for a few weeks. But in other news, is Tim Tanking? Fresh from Eyrie’s embarrassing loss in the Miles Franklin, check out the missing numbat in the room with the Booker long list!

That’s right. Nothing.

Is Winton played? Has Tim tanked like oozing old septic down the back of old Drop kick Duram’s place? Where their teenage bodies would roister and fossick next to the rusted out Fordson? Has Tim tanked like the drunk tank in the East Perth lockup, outside of which Nugget Norbert blinked back his hangover as the roistering easterly hit him between the metronomic eyes like a nulla nulla thrown by a ghost aborigine?

Maybe he can now fade into obscurity. Like Albany.timtanks

This entry was posted in worst book, worst writer and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Tim Tanks

1. orbea says:

Ben Elton was looking distinguished this morning at Tasty Delights SoFro. Comfortable in his wealth and family. Perhaps Tim feels the same way?

2. Plonka says:

I like the look of The Wake, by Paul KingSNORth. I wonder if he did the deliberately?

3. Plonka says:

Nope, I just read the blurb…..it looks a little snorthy to me.

4. Plonka says:

I’ve gotta say, I’m not a big fan of Winton either. I did find the two books of his that I read eons ago (dirt music and cloud st) very wanky. But i just can’t seem to bring myself to slag him off. For one it’s not in my nature, two i just don’t care enough ( and I can’t really remember his stuff) and three, you guys (some of you) really seem to hate him, not sure I want to be a part of that. I am curious though. Is it just because he writes like he rearranged a thesaurus with a few colloquialisms thrown in. Or is there something more? No judgment here, genuinely interested.

5. Plonka says:

I get a good giggle out of the “Wintonings” though!

6. Plonka says:

I get it. I was too young when I read them to really understand what I found annoying about them and I had no idea he used to be a good writer! Just kidding, I was aware of all the hype and excitement surrounding Winton, I just thought I was an uncultivated pleb because I didn’t “get” his work. I’m glad I’m not the only person to find his stuff tedious, but I can’t claim to have come to this conclusion from deep understanding or insight. I just knows what I likes, and that ain’t it.

7. Plonka says:

Strangely, I’m inspired to go back and read some Winton with a more critical eye. Although I suspect I will find myself laughing through the whole thing because I’ll have The Wintonings in the back of my mind. Could be fun.

8. Dave says:

Hmm. Nothing from either a Mantell or a Mantel

9. Plonka says:

I might start with The Bugalugs Bum Thief.

10. Plonka says:

No need, they made a crap tv series out of them. I catch them on ABC 3 sometimes when I’m supposed to be studying and am really pretending to spend quality time with my son. Actually, I was just joking about TBBT but then I remembered mum got a copy for my boy, I’m up to chapter 4. Chapter 2 was all about crayfish.

11. Sarah says:

Oh fuck off on the Albany thing.
    Then again … obscurity and and a great southern secession from the rest of the west may not be such a bad thing.

12. Plonka says:

I don’t recall mentioning Albany?

13. Plonka says:

Snicker….. As in giggle, not chocolate.